Friday 8 July 2016

Eid Part 2: The Food | Lifestyle

I come from a family who absolutely love food. I don't think there's a single one of us who doesn't jump at the thought of a good meal. And with such good cooks in the family, it's easy to understand why (shoutout to my mum!).

Our Eid menu is relatively similar every year. From children we've grown up with the whole family being together all day, sitting round tables filled with mouth watering foods. This Eid was our turn, meaning me and my mum had lots to do for breakfast and supper (my granny takes over lunch).

Our breakfast was a little different this year. Usually we go super heavy with delectable prawns served multiple ways, but this Eid we decided to go for a more "normal" type meal.
Breakfast consisted of a buffet-style spread including eggs cooked three ways, different types of toast, yummy fruit salads, an assortment of fruit juices and the good old yogurt and muesli. We also had the most divine pancakes, multiple kinds of baking including rose crouissants, eclairs, donuts and traditional biscuits. Not to forget the superb array of cereals, meat  and chicken options and the super fabulous Arabian egg. Our selection of hot drinks included multiple types of teas, coffee's and a variety of other drinks.
Needless to say, it was the best breakfast I've had in a while!

Lunch is always one of the best meals of the day. You'd think after a delightful breakfast like ours we'd be full, but no. I've been blessed with grannies who cook like chefs. My Nani (my mum's mum) loves cooking for the family and takes it upon herself to cook a huge spread for lunch. This year however, we enjoyed lunch with my dad's parents. A hot pot of freshly made breyani (an Indian rice dish) was the main dish, and it was divine!

And then, there's supper. After an entire day, there's still a little space for more. This year we decided to leave the prawns for the night. My mum and I took hours trying to make them to perfection and I think we did a pretty good job! We marinated prawns three ways so there was an option for everyone. Zingy Peri-Peri, tasty Lemon and Herb and spicy Portugese were the three flavours that stole the show! No prawn meal is complete without the sides. We served steaming garlic bread and freshly fried and spiced chips. We also served a gorgeous spice rice to complete it all. For drinks, we kept a simple with Kola Tonic being the star of the show.

After supper, everyone gathers around to enjoy some tea and baked goodies, and to share some stories (this is easily one of the best parts of the day). We had tea's and coffee's to go along with  different types of baking. Desserts filled the table along with a whole lot of yummy baked goodies.

After a day filled with food and family (and loads of carbs) , it's safe to say that I'll be starting an exercise plan immediately after the weekend!

Remember to see @StyleUnboxed on Instagram for more Eid pics and more!

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures. Since Eid was at my house, I was just too busy!

Xoxo
Raeesa

No comments:

Post a Comment